Brethren Volunteer Service (BVS) will be holding a virtual Winter Orientation for Unit 328. Due to the number of interested applicants and the continued health concerns over the pandemic, BVS has made the decision to offer a virtual orientation for new volunteers from Jan. 31-Feb. 12, 2021.
Workcamp Ministry announces that the program will now be operating under a new name: Faith Outreach Expeditions, or FaithX for short.
The Workcamp Ministry is announcing formal plans for the 2021 workcamps. We are grateful for those who participated in the informational survey last month and have taken the feedback into account while developing options for next summer. The four workcamp options, and their costs, can be found below.
The volunteers participating in Brethren Volunteer Service (BVS) summer and fall orientation units have been placed at their project sites and have begun work. The volunteers received orientation online, in a virtual process that for some occurred as they were in quarantine at their project sites in a COVID-19 protocol that BVS has put in place this year.
The Church of the Brethren’s Global Mission and Service has been separated into two departments: Global Mission and Service Ministries. The action carried out by general secretary David Steele was announced today, Sept. 25.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Workcamp Ministry has developed alternative workcamp options for summer 2021 workcamps. The top priority is the health and safety of workcamp participants and the communities they serve. The ministry hopes to offer workcamp options that reflect this priority while also providing a meaningful workcamp experience.
Brethren Volunteer Service (BVS) has posted the following statement on its website, supporting the Black Lives Matter movement, confessing and repenting of complicity in white oppression and systemic racism, and committing to “purposefully create space to amplify black and brown voices during our orientations and in our office as a staff.”
1) Brethren Volunteer Service makes statement supporting Black Lives Matter
2) Celebrating Juneteenth with news of Brethren actions, statements, and opportunities
3) Brethren Faith in Action Fund issues grants
4) Fellowship of Brethren Homes member communities share gratitude for grant
5) Fall reopening plans announced by Bethany Theological Seminary
6) Church World Service kit depots to re-open in mid-August
7) Jocelyn Siakula resigns as orientation coordinator for Brethren Volunteer Service
8) Denomination invited to gather online for worship and music on July 1 and 2
9) Bethany Seminary announces new courses
10) July Ventures course is on ‘Brethren in the Age of Pandemic’
11) Brethren bits: Personnel, Peacebuilding and Policy director signs letter to Congress calling for police reforms, BVS holds virtual celebration of volunteer houses, children’s video from Children’s Disaster Services, Elizabethtown’s “Drop the Needle” sermon series, Soybean Innovation Lab features article on EYN, and more