For our opening worship at NYC, we’d like each attending congregation to bring a rock or stone. The rock can be any size, as long as it can travel with the group on their method of transportation to Colorado and can be carried to the front of Moby Arena during worship.
The Church of the Brethren’s Office of Peacebuilding and Policy is one of the faith-based groups signing on to a letter to President Biden concerning Cuba and a statement calling for a return to the Iran nuclear deal.
Nigerian troops have found two of the former schoolgirls abducted from Chibok by Boko Haram jihadists eight years ago, Mary Dauda and Hauwa Joseph. In a related development, EYN leadership celebrate the return of Mary Iliya, who was abducted in 2020 by jihadists from Bolakile. Also recently freed is Rebecca Irmiya.
Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) has organized three congregations or Local Church Councils (LCCs) from an LCC called Udah in DCC [church district] Yawa and another in Watu. EYN president Joel S. Billi accompanied by the EYN general secretary Daniel Y. C. Mbaya on June 19 presided over the establishment of LCCs Muva, Tuful, and Kwahyeli located in Askira/Uba Local Government Area of Borno State.
The Southeastern District of the Church of the Brethren has called Andrew (Andy) Hamilton to serve as half-time district executive minister beginning July 23. He will be installed at the district conference to be held on that date at Peak Creek Church of the Brethren in Laurel Springs, N.C.
In this issue: Update from the Brethren in Ukraine, job openings, order Shine curriculum for Fall 2022, Global Food Initiative newsletter, On Earth Peace webinar on Kingian nonviolence, and more news from congregations, districts, camps, ecumenical partners, and more.
1) Office of Peacebuilding and Policy signs letter on Cuba, statement on Iran nuclear deal
2) EYN women are freed after abductions, including two of the former schoolgirls from Chibok
3) One church begot three in troubled northeastern Nigeria
4) Carrie Eikler resigns position at Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership
5) Andrew Hamilton to lead Southeastern District
6) Sharon Flaten joins Bethany staff in Nigeria
7) Bring rocks to National Youth Conference!
JESUS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD: STORIES FROM CONGREGATIONS
8) Bethel Church celebrates a century and a half of ministry
9) Lower Miami Church gains media attention from NY Times, Dayton Daily News
10) Church2Church: Reaching out to share with a church in need
11) Brethren bits: Update from the Brethren in Ukraine, job openings, order Shine curriculum for Fall 2022, Global Food Initiative newsletter, On Earth Peace webinar on Kingian nonviolence, and news from congregations, districts, camps, ecumenical partners, and more
When Un Nuevo Renacer, a Spanish speaking church in Atlantic Northeast District, faced a significant challenge in recent months, pastor Carolina Izquierdo reached out to the district to share their dilemma and found a solution for their need.
Brethren Disaster Ministries is monitoring the deadly earthquake that struck in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday, June 22. Staff are monitoring an expanding crisis in the horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Somalia, and Kenya) where an extreme drought, soaring food prices, and high fuel costs are adding to a massive humanitarian crisis.
Continuing the work of Jesus, the Part-Time Pastor; Full-Time Church program exists in the Church of the Brethren to walk with, listen to, and advocate for part-time, multi-vocational, and not-paid-to-scale pastors. The program empowers them to live and lead well by enriching their journey through intentional relationships and thoughtful wisdom sharing.