Brethren Volunteer Service
Purpose and Goals
BVS orientations are designed to prepare and strengthen volunteers for a life of service in BVS and beyond. The goals are to encourage you to:
- Share and examine your personal beliefs and values with the intent of growing in your understanding of yourself, others, and God.
- Share in the responsibilities for group life while learning what helps and hinders satisfying group living.
- Struggle with the prevalent spiritual and social issues of our day and examine Christian ethical responses to current social, political, and economic issues.
- Learn ways to live simply and responsibly with the world’s limited resources.
- Become more aware of people and situations throughout the world, including responsibilities of membership in the global family.
- Explore ways to enable personal and societal change that embody mutuality and nonviolence.
- Consider project possibilities with the support of the orientation community and finalize project assignments through discussions with the BVS staff.
- Develop a BVS community of support and learn ways to develop local support for yourself while at your project.
- Presentation, discussion, and information on project possibilities
- Project placement
- Service projects
- Times of worship and devotions
- Shared meals and small-group meal preparation
- Personal sharing and group-building
- Opportunities for recreation and reflection
- Presentations and discussions on a variety of topics to prepare for service and gain awareness in the realm of peace, justice, and global concerns. Topics may include vocation, spiritual formation, cultural sensitivity, conflict resolution and communication styles.
Unit #319 (Summer)
August 17, 2018
Location: Camp Colorado, Sedalia, CO
Applications due 6/15
Unit #320 (BRF)
Location: To Be Announced
Applications due 7/6
Unit #321 (Fall)
October 12, 2018
Location: Camp Pine Lake, Eldora, Iowa
Applications due 8/17
Unit #322 (Summer)
August 9, 2019
Applications due 6/7
Unit #323 (BRF)
Applications due 7/5
Unit #324 (Fall)
October 11, 2019
Applications due 8/9