Purpose and Goals
BVS orientations are designed to prepare and strengthen volunteers for a life of service in BVS and beyond. The goals are to encourage you to:
- Share and examine your personal beliefs and values with the intent of growing in your understanding of yourself, others, and God.
- Share in the responsibilities for group life while learning what helps and hinders satisfying group living.
- Struggle with the prevalent spiritual and social issues of our day and examine Christian ethical responses to current social, political, and economic issues.
- Learn ways to live simply and responsibly with the world’s limited resources.
- Become more aware of people and situations throughout the world, including responsibilities of membership in the global family.
- Explore ways to enable personal and societal change that embody mutuality and nonviolence.
- Consider project possibilities with the support of the orientation community and finalize project assignments through discussions with the BVS staff.
- Develop a BVS community of support and learn ways to develop local support for yourself while at your project.
- Presentation, discussion, and information on project possibilities
- Project placement
- Service projects
- Times of worship and devotions
- Shared meals and small-group meal preparation
- Personal sharing and group-building
- Opportunities for recreation and reflection
- Presentations and discussions on a variety of topics to prepare for service and gain awareness in the realm of peace, justice, and global concerns. Topics may include vocation, spiritual formation, cultural sensitivity, conflict resolution and communication styles.
Upcoming Orientation dates
Summer and Fall 2021 Orientation
Brethren Volunteer Service is pleased to announce that we will be hosting two in-person orientation units this year. Summer Orientation Unit #329 at Inspiration Hills Camp in Burbank, OH and Fall Orientation Unit #330 at Camp Brethren Heights in Rodney, MI. This decision was carefully considered and researched in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Brethren Disaster Ministries (BDM), Children’s Disaster Services (CDS), and Faith Outreach Expeditions (FaithX). We are excited to be able to gather safely and in intentional community for the orientation experience once more!
We are still accepting BVS applications through August 20, 2021. Please consider sharing your gifts with BVS to serve a world in need.
Download the full BVS Orientation COVID-19 guidelines and consent form
Summer 2021 #329
July 18 – August 6, 2021 (Inspiration Hills Camp) – Applications are due June 4, 2021.
Fall 2021 #330
October 3-22, 2021 (Camp Brethren Heights) – Applications are due August 20, 2021.
Summer 2022 #331
July 17 – August 5 (TBD) – Applications are due June 3, 2022.
Fall 2022 #332
September 18 – October 7 (TBD) – Applications are due August 5, 2022.