Scroll down for the Heart of Anabaptism series
Thursday, May 5: The Practical Struggles Faced By Asylum Seekers and How the Christian Community Can Respond
1:30 pm CST / 2:30 pm EST
This webinar will examine some of the tensions of living with destitute asylum seekers in community. Reflect on theology, particularly about how angry we get immersed in this world and tell stories of courage and chaos untamed and how nonetheless Jesus inhabits our world even when things go wrong.
Rachel Bee lives in Easton, Bristol, a multicultural area in a 3 household community with connected gardens. She also runs a small aid organization working with destitute asylum seekers and a small social business providing housing for refugees. In her spare time she loves chatting (to anyone and everyone), playing music and cooking.
Thursday, May 26: Convening conversations with Muslim women
1:30 pm CST / 2:30 pm EST
The webinar will explore how we might use ‘conversational spaces’ to convene with those from culturally and socially diverse backgrounds. Some questions we will be exploring include
- What do we mean by accessibility and how committed are we to ensuring it?
- Which kind of questions enables the glimpsing of another way of being?
- Can we hope for Conversation in intentionally conversational spaces to be transformative for all involved?
- To what extent can we see Conversation as a deeply contextual and radically hospitable approach to mission?
Jan Pike lived in the Indian sub-continent for over 20 years before finding a home and work in Bristol as an ESOL tutor to mostly Somali women and so has a wide experience of communicating cross-culturally.
Her engagement with women from a range of Muslim countries, now living in inner city Bristol, has led to faith conversations being shared and the eventual development of tools for dialogue where relationships between Christian and Muslim people bring them together to listen and share the Stories from both the Qur’an and the Bible. Through this activity, deep things are shared and new things about the nature of God are revealed.
The Heart of Anabaptism
Seven webinars in 2015-16
The 2015-16 webinars organized by the Centre for Anabaptist Studies will explore the 7 core convictions of the UK Anabaptist Network, which summarize the heart of Anabaptism and its contemporary significance. They are also at the heart of the book The Naked Anabaptist. The one-hour webinars are free of charge and do not require advance registration.
Seven people from different contexts (the UK, South Africa, Australia and North America) will reflect on these convictions, critique them and ask how they work out in practice.
Webinars sponsored by the Anabaptist Network, UK, the Centre for Anabaptist (Bristol Baptist College), Church of the Brethren, and Mennonite Trust.
Go to the Youth and Young Adults Webcast page for events geared to pastors, parents, and anyone who works with youth
Unless otherwise noted, participating in a live webinar earns CEU, 0.1 for an hour or 0.15 for an hour and a half event.
New webinars will be announced later. Please return for details!
Recorded webcasts and webinars
Past webcasts and webinars can be found in our archive.
Webinar login instructions
- Browse to the login page using the link provided;
- On the meeting login page, select "Enter as a Guest" and enter your name and location in the Name box (e.g., "Enten Eller -- Ambler, PA"); then
- Click [Enter Room].
- Mobile devices will work, but not as well. For the best experience, use a computer. (If you use a mobile device, use the Adobe Connect app.)
- Before logging in, fully reboot your system and close other programs.
- Arrange for a good internet connection.
- If on a shared internet connection (such as at home), request that others refrain from use while you are connected.
- Powered speakers or earbuds may be helpful.
- Google Chrome may not work well--use Firefox, Safari, or IE/Edge if you have problems with audio or video.
- Check your internet speed at www.speedtest.net ... 1Mb/s download is good, higher is better.
- Test the quality of your internet at www.pingtest.net ... an A grade is best.
- Update your flash player (free download from get.adobe.com/flashplayer).
- If you would like to make sure that your computer and connection are ready for the meeting, run the Adobe Connect test (note that #4, the Adobe Connect Add-In, is not required for viewing).