Today’s report from the first day of the 2022 Annual Conference held in Omaha, Neb.
The Standing Committee of district delegates from the 24 Church of the Brethren districts began meeting in Omaha, Neb., on the evening of July 7, through this morning. It was presided over by Conference moderator David Sollenberger, moderator-elect Tim McElwee, and secretary James M. Beckwith. One of its primary functions is to make recommendations on the new business items and queries coming to Annual Conference.
Today in Omaha – July 9, 2022. A brief review of the pre-Annual Conference events this year.
For our opening worship at NYC, we’d like each attending congregation to bring a rock or stone. The rock can be any size, as long as it can travel with the group on their method of transportation to Colorado and can be carried to the front of Moby Arena during worship.
The Church of the Brethren’s Office of Peacebuilding and Policy is one of the faith-based groups signing on to a letter to President Biden concerning Cuba and a statement calling for a return to the Iran nuclear deal.
Nigerian troops have found two of the former schoolgirls abducted from Chibok by Boko Haram jihadists eight years ago, Mary Dauda and Hauwa Joseph. In a related development, EYN leadership celebrate the return of Mary Iliya, who was abducted in 2020 by jihadists from Bolakile. Also recently freed is Rebecca Irmiya.
Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria (EYN, the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria) has organized three congregations or Local Church Councils (LCCs) from an LCC called Udah in DCC [church district] Yawa and another in Watu. EYN president Joel S. Billi accompanied by the EYN general secretary Daniel Y. C. Mbaya on June 19 presided over the establishment of LCCs Muva, Tuful, and Kwahyeli located in Askira/Uba Local Government Area of Borno State.
The Southeastern District of the Church of the Brethren has called Andrew (Andy) Hamilton to serve as half-time district executive minister beginning July 23. He will be installed at the district conference to be held on that date at Peak Creek Church of the Brethren in Laurel Springs, N.C.
In this issue: Update from the Brethren in Ukraine, job openings, order Shine curriculum for Fall 2022, Global Food Initiative newsletter, On Earth Peace webinar on Kingian nonviolence, and more news from congregations, districts, camps, ecumenical partners, and more.
1) Office of Peacebuilding and Policy signs letter on Cuba, statement on Iran nuclear deal
2) EYN women are freed after abductions, including two of the former schoolgirls from Chibok
3) One church begot three in troubled northeastern Nigeria
4) Carrie Eikler resigns position at Brethren Academy for Ministerial Leadership
5) Andrew Hamilton to lead Southeastern District
6) Sharon Flaten joins Bethany staff in Nigeria
7) Bring rocks to National Youth Conference!
JESUS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD: STORIES FROM CONGREGATIONS
8) Bethel Church celebrates a century and a half of ministry
9) Lower Miami Church gains media attention from NY Times, Dayton Daily News
10) Church2Church: Reaching out to share with a church in need
11) Brethren bits: Update from the Brethren in Ukraine, job openings, order Shine curriculum for Fall 2022, Global Food Initiative newsletter, On Earth Peace webinar on Kingian nonviolence, and news from congregations, districts, camps, ecumenical partners, and more