Norman and Carol Spicher Waggy have concluded an interim assignment as directors of Global Mission for the Church of the Brethren, as of May 14. They served in the position on a part-time basis starting March 2, 2020.
During their 14 months directing the Global Mission office, their work included the development of country advisory teams, facilitation of gatherings of the Global Church of the Brethren Communion via Zoom, and continuation of the work of living into the denomination’s Global Mission philosophy–all while navigating the challenges of a global pandemic. They also were speakers for a Moderator’s Town Hall webinar about the global church. Most recently, they provided orientation and transitional support for incoming executive directors of Global Mission, Eric Miller and Ruoxia Li.
The Waggys worked remotely from their home in Goshen, Ind., where they are members of Rock Run Church of the Brethren, and from the Church of the Brethren General Offices in Elgin, Ill.
Find more Church of the Brethren news:
- Interfaith Prayer Service marks 20th anniversary of 9/11
- Children’s Disaster Services responds to Hurricane Ida, Afghan evacuation
- EDF grants support earthquake relief in Haiti
- Office of Peacebuilding and Policy signs letter supporting Afghan refugees, urging humanitarian action by Biden administration
- Remembering Dale Brown, professor emeritus at Bethany Seminary and a leading theologian in the Church of the Brethren