It would be easy to make a list of the things that annoy during this time of year. But the world has enough complaining, so I’m looking beyond that. What I like in January:
- A new calendar.
- The intrigue of a year named for perfect vision.
- The optimism of resolutions.
- Lengthening days.
- Electricity, hot water, and indoor plumbing.
- Stocking feet by the fireplace.
- Heated seats.
- Homemade soup with family and friends.
- A pile of books and a down blanket.
- The right coat for the weather.
- Fresh snow when the sky is blue.
- Icicles afire in the morning sun.
- The flash of a red cardinal.
- The silence of soil and seeds in fallow time.
- A holiday dedicated to peace, justice, and the righting of racial wrongs.
- The gospel story of mysterious visitors from afar, evidence that God’s gift reaches beyond what we expect.
- The season of Epiphany, of light in the darkness and the manifestation of God to the whole world.
Wendy McFadden is publisher of Brethren Press and Communications for the Church of the Brethren.