- Brethren Disaster Ministries monitors needs as California experiences extreme weatherby Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford on January 13, 2023 at 2:56 pm
Brethren Disaster Ministries staff are monitoring the re-occurring storms and flooding in California and their damage, and sending prayers for those who are affected. The staff have reached out to leadership of Pacific Southwest District and received word that they have not heard from any Church of the Brethren congregations experiencing issues, either for their church buildings or their members.
- Emergency Disaster Fund aids Tennessee, Puerto Rico, Florida, Honduras, Uganda, and Venezuelaby Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford on November 16, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Brethren Disaster Ministries staff have directed grants from the Church of the Brethren’s Emergency Disaster Fund (EDF) grants to support a rebuilding project in Tennessee, the work of Children’s Disaster Services and Church of the Brethren congregations in Florida following Hurricane Ian, flood recovery work of the Christian Solidarity Program for Honduras, a flood relief program of the Church of the Brethren in Uganda, and a flood relief program of ASIGLEH (the Church of the Brethren in Venezuela).
- Hurricane response efforts continueby Jan Fischer Bachman on October 26, 2022 at 4:20 pm
Church of the Brethren ministries are assisting survivors of Hurricanes Ian and Fiona through shipments by Material Resources, Children’s Disaster Services teams in Florida, and acts of love and compassion in Puerto Rico.
- Brethren Disaster Ministries, districts work on hurricane responseby Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford on October 6, 2022 at 4:44 pm
Hurricane Ian caused catastrophic damage along Florida’s southwest coast on Sept. 28 when it made landfall near Fort Myers. More than a week later, first responders are still out searching the hardest hit neighborhoods for survivors. With the death toll over 100, this storm is one of the deadliest in the state’s history. The level of damage has impeded relief and response efforts as volunteers come to help. Shelter and rental cars are scarce in the state, with many volunteers driving over two hours to get to the damage zone each day.
- Children’s Disaster Services offers volunteer training workshops in Octoberby Cheryl Brumbaugh-Cayford on September 16, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Children’s Disaster Services (CDS) has three volunteer training workshops coming up, for which we are taking registrations: