Current Projects | Schedules | Frequently Asked Questions | Forms and Guidelines
Disaster Response volunteers:
- have a deep desire to share the love of Christ by helping others
- have compassion toward those who have lost a great deal
- work cooperatively with others
- are in good-to-excellent health
- have the stamina for hard work. are sensitive to and accepting of others regardless of racial/cultural differences
- are willing to act as a representative of the Church of the Brethren
- Are willing to follow the current COVID-19 protocol required on each site
To sign up as a weekly volunteer, take the following steps:
- Contact either your District Disaster Coordinator (your district office can refer you), or the Brethren Disaster Ministries office to select a project location and date.
- Fill out the required Volunteer Registration and Release form (this is a 2-page form).
- Parents of minors must also sign the Authorization of Consent to Emergency Care of Minor form.
- Read the Volunteer Handbook before you go.
- Report to the disaster project as instructed, ready to roll up your sleeves and make a difference!
- At the end of your volunteer trip, please fill out the online Volunteer Evaluation of Project. We appreciate your feedback!
- BDM volunteers can now get a discount on car rental when traveling to and from BDM projects. Contact us for more information.
Disaster Project Leaders:
Brethren Disaster Ministries also trains volunteers to serve as Disaster Project Leaders who manage the projects on location for longer periods of time. There are two positions:
- Construction Leaders – with some experience or construction skills who can lead work teams on the job sites
- Household Leaders – to serve as hosts for the volunteer groups at the housing site and to prepare meals during the week for around 20 people.
Trainings usually happen once a year on a current project site for those interested who have or soon will have the availability to serve for a month or more during the year. If you are interested in learning more about Disaster Project Leaders, please contact the BDM office.