Called to care for the outsider, Brethren have long supported the refugees in our communities. With many thousands of Afghan evacuees arriving in the US, churches are challenged to welcome these strangers that flee persecution in their homeland.
“The primary truth of faith as we consider… refugees today is that Christ has made another appearance among us, as Himself a… refugee in the person of political dissidents, the economically deprived, and foreigners on the run. We are to join them as pilgrims in search of that city yet to come, with foundations of love and justice whose architect and builder is God.”
Church of the Brethren Annual Conference statement, 1982
Church of the Brethren response: Join the effort
- Give to the Emergency Disaster Fund to support Afghan resettlement across the country. Grants from the Emergency Disaster Fund are supporting Church World Service in resettling Afghan evacuees and refugees. (www.brethren.org/give-afghan-evacuees)
- Sponsor an Afghan Family and support their resettlement. Congregations or groups can work with Church World Service or other resettlement agencies to welcome Afghan people into their community.
- Sponsorship through Church World Service—CWS, the historic and current refugee resettlement partner of the Church of the Brethren, has offices and affiliates in 17 states. Find a CWS resettlement office near you.
- CWS is one of nine resettlement agencies partnering with the US government. If CWS is not an option, find out about other agencies and their affiliates providing refugee resettlement programming in your state or area through the Refugee Council USA or the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement.
- Please let the BDM office know if you or your church are exploring sponsorship or are already sponsoring a family, or if you may need assistance to offer sponsorship. (See also below: Faith in Action Fund grant information)
- Contact Brethren Disaster Ministries for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-635-8731/800-451-4407
Support congregations resettling Afghan families
- Partner with another church on Afghan family resettlement. Contact the BDM office for possible partnerships.
- Hold a special fundraiser for a resettlement in your community or the national effort.
- Apply for a Church of the Brethren Faith in Action Fund grant to assist with resettlement costs. (certain criteria and application requirements apply)
Advocate for Afghan evacuees
- Church of the Brethren Action Alert: Evacuate Afghans and Decrease Military Spending
- CWS Action Alert: Protect and Welcome Vulnerable Afghans
- CWS Action Alert: Welcome Afghans and Equip Local Communities
- CWS Action Alert: Hold Officials Accountable and Expand the Refugee Admissions Goal
- Church World Service resources
- Afghanistan Response – Refugee Council USA
- Welcome.US – Initiative of groups welcoming Afghans
- Afghan Placement and Assistance (APA) Program
Contact Brethren Disaster Ministries for additional information: email@example.com or 410-635-8731/800-451-4407