Church of the Brethren congregations
- Pastoral/staff openings (many locations)
Church of the Brethren denominational positions
- Program Manager, Thriving in Ministry “Part-time Pastor; Full-time Church” Program (PT, remote)
This position is part-time, salaried-exempt, with remote location, including travel as needed to carry out program objectives. This is an immediate opening.
The Program Manager will work with an Advisory Committee to implement the “Part-Time Pastor; Full-Time Church” program, a Lilly Endowment, Inc.-funded initiative that addresses the practical needs of multivocational ministers in the Church of the Brethren. This program will include recruiting and training qualified individuals to serve as Circuit Riders, those who assess ministers’ immediate concerns, as well as Resource Persons, those who provide expertise regarding concerns identified as most common for multivocational clergy. Peer groups are also formed to support pastors beyond their program participation. The Program Manager will manage requests for services, schedule service providers (Circuit Riders and Resource Persons) and meet ongoing administrative needs including completion of required reports to the grant provider.
- Successful Completion of a Ministry Training Program
- Knowledge of the Church of the Brethren structure, polity, practices and culture
- Affinity with the values and mission of the Church of the Brethren
- A collaborative working style
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Use of active listening and discernment skills
- Able to relate with integrity and respect within and beyond the organization
- Excellent computer skills and familiarity with educational technology
- Experience with budgets and financial record-keeping
- A resourceful nature
- Fluency in Spanish and Kreyol welcome
A position description and further details of the grant will be provided upon request. Applications will be reviewed when received and will continue to be accepted until the position is filled.
Interested and qualified persons may apply for this position by sending a cover letter, resume and two letters of recommendation to: COBApply@brethren.org
- Database Support Specialist (Elgin, Illinois or New Windsor, Maryland)
The Church of the Brethren is seeking an individual to fill a full-time hourly position of Database Support Specialist. The Database Support Specialist is part of the Information Technology team and Organizational Resources. This position could be based at the General Offices in Elgin, IL or Brethren Service Center in New Windsor, MD.
The major responsibility is to oversee and supervise the use of the organization’s database system and to enter and edit data that is collected across the whole organization, in consultation with the Director of Information Technology.
Skills and knowledge required:
- Positive customer service attitude
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Information Technology and with other members of the Information Technology team
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding and knowledge of relational databases
- Working knowledge with:
- Raiser’s Edge or comparable software.
- Database infrastructure
- Microsoft 365 Office Suite
- Microsoft Access and Excel
- Ability to provide telephone support
- Technical troubleshooting skills
- Able to articulate and operate out of the vision of the Mission & Ministry Board
- Skilled in oral and written communication
Minimum of two years of significant relational database experience.
Minimum of bachelor’s degree in information technology, computer science, database administration or related field required. Advanced training certifications may be advantageous.
Applications will be received beginning immediately and will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. Qualified candidates are invited to send a resume to COBApply@brethren.org.
- District Executive Minister Opening, Atlantic Southeast District
Translation of documents into Spanish or Haitian Kreyòl can be provided upon request.
La traducción de documentos al español se puede proporcionar a pedido.
Tradiksyon dokiman an kreyòl ap disponib si gen yon demand.
The Atlantic Southeast District of the Church of the Brethren is seeking a half-time District Executive Minister. The district territory includes Florida and Georgia, although there are currently no churches in Georgia. In Florida there are 18 congregations: 9 English speaking, 7 Kreyòl speaking and 2 Spanish speaking. These congregations span the geography of the state, minus the panhandle, with churches from north to south on both coasts and in the center of the state. The virtual district office is located wherever the District Executive lives within the ASE district. There is no administrative assistant. Camp Ithiel located just outside of Orlando is the camp affiliated with the Church of the Brethren, and one of the congregations is located on the campgrounds.
This 1/2-time position (approximately 100 hours per month) requires travel both within and outside of the district.
RESPONSIBILITIES of this Half-time Position include:
- Direct, coordinate, manage, and lead the district ministries as authorized by the District Conference and implemented by the District Board.
- Work with the congregations in calling and credentialing ministers and in the placement/call and evaluation of pastoral staff. Provide support and counsel for ministers and other church leaders and share and interpret program resources for congregations.
- Provide an important link between the congregations and the district and denomination by working collaboratively with the Council of District Executives, the Annual Conference, the Agencies, and their staff.
- Ordination within the Church of the Brethren with commensurate educational background which includes at least one of the following: Master of Divinity, Doctor of Ministry, TRIM/EFSM certificate.
- Clear commitment to Jesus Christ and New Testament values.
- Knowledge of and adherence to Church of the Brethren faith and heritage.
- Respect for diverse biblical interpretation consistent with Church of the Brethren beliefs and practices.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in organization, administration, and communication, including ability to supervise a district staff which includes 4 part-time staff positions.
- Understand and value the district’s unique diversity with the aim of including all congregations in developing and carrying out the mission to grow and revitalize congregations.
- Pastoral experience preferred.
Interested and qualified persons may apply for this position by sending a letter of interest and resume to Nancy Sollenberger Heishman, Director of Ministry, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants are requested to contact three persons to provide letters of reference. Upon receipt of the resume, the individual will be sent a candidate profile that must be completed and returned before the application is considered complete. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- District Executive Minister, Michigan District
The Michigan District comprises 20 congregations, including all of the lower peninsula of Michigan north of the southern tier of counties. Camp Brethren Heights is associated with the district and the district office location is negotiable. The district is theologically diverse and creative, biblically centered leadership with a broad, unifying perspective is desired to find the common foundation to continue to build God’s Kingdom together.
This 1/2-time position (approximately 25 hours per week) is currently available. Travel is required both within and outside of district.
RESPONSIBILITIES include three main focus areas:
- Direction, coordination, management, and leadership of the district program, as authorized by District Conference and implemented by the District Leadership Team.
- Work with the congregations in the calling and credentialing of ministers and in the placement/call and evaluation of pastoral staff. Providing support and counsel for ministers and other church leaders, sharing and interpreting of program resources for the congregation.
- Providing an important and crucial link between the congregations and the district and the wider church by working collaboratively with the Council of District Executives, the Annual Conference, its agencies, and their staff.
- Ordained through accredited program, Master of Divinity preferred
- Personal skills in organization, administration and communication
- Committed to the Church of the Brethren locally and denominationally, along with ecumenical skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Pastoral experience preferred
- Biblical leadership
Interested and qualified persons may apply for this position by sending a letter of interest and resume to Nancy Sollenberger Heishman, Director, Office of Ministry, via email at email@example.com. Applicants are requested to contact 3 or 4 persons willing to provide a letter of reference. Upon receipt of the resume, the individual will be sent a Candidate profile that must be completed and returned before the application is considered complete. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.