Basin & Towel, a publication of Congregational Life Ministries, offers insights for the development of church leaders with practical and inspirational articles, interviews, and access to online bonus features. Find out more or subscribe to Basin & Towel.
- Downloadable Deacon Emeritus certificate
- Essential Servants: Reflections on the Caring Ministries of Deacons, by Fred Swartz
- Essential Servants II: More Reflections on the Caring Ministries of Deacons, by Fred Swartz (includes combined index for Volumes I and II)
- The New Deacon Manual
- Go to the Brethren Press store, and in the search box in the upper left corner enter the word ‘deacon’ for other documents.
- "Power of the Towel" by Jonathan Shively.
(The score for Power of the Towel is copyrighted, but may be copied for limited, non-commercial use. For information on terms related to large reproductions, please contact Jonathan Shively at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Listen to a performance of "Power of the Towel"
End-of-life decision making
One of the most thoughtful things that can be done as a part of end-of-life planning is to provide notes for your memorial service or funeral. This example can be downloaded and modified to meet your congregation’s needs.
2011 National Older Adult Conference (NOAC) keynote presenters Curtis W. Dubble and David E. Fuchs, MD, tell the touching and powerful story of the Dubble family's experience as Curtis' late wife Anna Mary suffered brain damage following a heart attack. Dubble and Fuchs speak frankly about the need for having and communicating advance directives, the importance of developing a strong support system of caregivers, and how crucial a life of faith and prayer is during difficult times.
Read more about the presentation.
The hour-long presentation is a helpful resource for individuals, families, deacons, and congregations as they explore end-of-life issues. The audio CD is $10.00 and the video DVD is $15.00.
Download the order form.