Scriptures of Peace
These are scriptures cited in various Church of the Brethren Annual Conference statements.
- Ezekiel 34:25 I will make with them a covenant of peace.
- Exodus 20:13 You shall not murder.
- Isaiah 2:4 He shall judge between the nations, and arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.
- Jeremiah 7:5-7 For if you truly amend your ways and your doings, if you truly act justly one with another, if you do not oppress the alien, the orphan, and the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own hurt, then I will dwell with you in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your ancestors forever and ever.
- Jonah 3:8-9 Human beings and animals shall be covered with sackcloth, and they shall cry mightily to God. All shall turn from their evil ways and from the violence that is in their hands. Who knows? God may relent and change his mind; he may turn from his fierce anger, so that we do not perish.
- Amos 5:24 But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.
- Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live.
- Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers.
- Matthew 5:44 Love your enemies.
- Matthew 26:52 Those who live by the sword will perish by the sword.
- Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
- Matthew 5:39 If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn the other also.
- Mark 9:50 Salt is good; but if salt has lost its saltiness, how can you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.
- Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors!
- Luke 4:18-19 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.
- Luke 14:28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it?
- Luke 19:42 Would that you knew the things that make for peace.
- Acts 5:29 Obey God rather than man.
- Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Romans 12:18-21 If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave room for the wrath of God. . . . No, if your enemies are hungry, feed them; if they are thirsty, give them something to drink; . . . Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
- Romans 13:8-10 Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments . . . are summed up in this word, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law.
- 1 Corinthians 13:8-13 Love never ends. . . . And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.
- 2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brothers and sisters, farewell. Put things in order, listen to my appeal, agree with one another, live in peace, and the God of love and peace will be with you.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:13 Be at peace among yourselves.
- Ephesians 2:14-15 For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall that is the hostility between us. He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, so that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace.
- Ephesians 6:15 As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace.
- 1 Peter 3:13 Now who will harm you if you are eager to do what is good? But even you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed.
- 1 Peter 3:15 Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an account of the hope that is in you.